BLUE CREEK DAIRY FARM

Fencing Project

IMG_0839
Just finished a major fencing project!
The farm’s perimeter fence was a 50 year old barbed wire fence in various states of repair. Most of it could hardly be considered a fence at all with the wires a tripping hazard on the ground and most posts rotted off at the base. The first job, maybe the worst job, was removing this derelict relict of the past. We made $14 off of a couple hundred pounds of old rusty barbed wire sold for scrap. Barbed wire is not fun to work with, thank goodness our tetanus shots were up to date!
photo 2

photo 3

Next we build very strong braces at the corners with our larger juniper posts.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

We stretched a bottom wire to act as a guide for the line posts.

IMG_2454

IMG_0668

Then we drove 6 1/2’ green steel T posts and smaller juniper posts, three steel to one wood.

IMG_0669

We used a Seymour adjustable manual post auger that worked surprisingly well. Some areas had more clay and hardpan. The manual auger worked better than using the clamshell digger and breaker bar. There wasn’t a hole it couldn’t dig.
IMG_0717

With all the posts in, we strung the next two wires by rolling them off the back of the farm trailer.
IMG_0784

We connected the wires with staples to the wood posts, and with clips to the T posts.
IMG_0677

We also installed a few gates.
IMG_0691

IMG_0694

IMG_0699

Along two sections, we had to replace the barbed wire with new barbed wire as the neighbor had cattle grazing.
IMG_0657

IMG_0679

We fenced about a mile around about 22 acres. Whew!